About Type 1 Diabetes
If you or someone you care for has type 1 diabetes, you are not alone. It’s hard to get an exact number, but the American Diabetes Association reports that over a million people are diagnosed and living with type 1 diabetes in the U.S.
Many think of type 1 diabetes as a childhood condition, but someone can be diagnosed with it at any age. In 2014–2015, there were over 18,000 diagnosed cases of type 1 diabetes in the United States among people under 20 years of age. This diagnosis can come as a shock, to both the person with diabetes and their loved ones. However, it may be comforting to know that technologies for monitoring and treating diabetes—from smaller blood sugar testing meters to water-resistant insulin pumps—have changed and improved over the years, making diabetes management easier and more personalized. With proper diabetes management, it is now possible to live a good life with type 1 diabetes. Cornerstones4Care® is designed to provide online diabetes management tools, information, and support to individuals living with type 1 diabetes as well as to their families and care partners.
Living With Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes 101
- Being Diagnosed With Type 1 Diabetes
- A1C and Blood Sugar Control
- High Blood Sugar
- Low Blood Sugar
- Reducing the Risk of Long-term Problems
- Common Coexisting Conditions
- Healthy Coping
- Managing Feelings of Stress, Anger, and Depression
- Feel Overwhelmed?
- How to Prepare for Emergencies
- The Diabetes Care Team
- Diabetes Support Groups
For Parents and Caregivers
- Dealing With Your Child’s Diagnosis
- Caring for a Child With Diabetes
- What’s the Difference?
- Blood Sugar Control for Children
- Making Diabetes Management Work for the Whole Household
- Starting School or Day Care
- How to Stop Bullies
- Type 1 Diabetes and Teens
- Diabulimia Awareness
- Helping Teens With Type 1 Diabetes Become Young Adults
- Parenting Under Pressure
- Managing Young Adults Living on Their Own
- Paying for Diabetes Care
- Caring for Young Adults Living at Home
- Type 1 Diabetes Support Booklets